After eating quite a bit of different types of plain shortbread over the festive period - I came to realise that I'm not a big fan - so I searched for a couple of plain recipes to use as a foundation and develop my own.
So here after a few trials and more than one error is my take on:
Lemon & Ginger Shortbread
- 150g Vegetable Baking Fat (I use Asda's 'Just for Baking')
- 100g Icing Sugar
- Juice and Zest of one unwaxed Lemon
- A large Egg Yolk
- 300g Plain flour
- 2tbsps's Ginger
- Icing Sugar, Lemon Juice
- Cream together the fat, sugar, lemon zest and egg yolk
- Slowly add the flour and ginger (I do this in about 3 goes). mixing well after each addition - you'll need to use your hands towards the end. If your dough seems particularly sticky this will be because we can't gauge the amount of lemon juice exactly so simply sprinkle in some more flour until it smooths up a bit.
- The dough should be given resting time in the fridge - about an hour is fine, you can if you want to - freeze the dough ready to bake at another time.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 or 180 for fan ovens
- Roll out your dough to 5mm thick and cut out any shapes you want - remember that if you go for a larger shape then don't roll the dough as thin to help prevent breaking.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and cook for 10mins on until golden.
- You can ice your biscuits as I have by flooding the top with white icing (I make my icing up with water and lemon juice for an extra zesty tang).
- Prior to baking you can wash the cut biscuit dough pieces with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Leave plain and enjoy x